Inquiry:  I live on a farm located north of highway 7 on a dirt road called Side Line. the road is a country rd ( dirt rd.) also located within crown land. The road serves the 2 farms on either side of the dirt rd predominantly farm vehicals ie Tractors ect. It is not a through rd starts at exits off highway 7 and runs to the first consession north which is also a dirt rd with some spots with gravel. Maximum speed I think is posted at 50km but the road as it is very rarely maintained ( Graded by one of the local farm opporators mabe 2 or at most 3 times per year. I pulled out of one of my driveways and headed north toward highway 7. Two Regional Poice officers were pulled off the road parked and chatting. I was just hanging up the phone but still on the dirt rd. I hadnt reached hwy 7 still on dirt rd I was pulled over and given a ticket. Question 1 . Do Regional Police officers have durisdiction to give tickets on crown land ? 2) Are Dirt roads aka side roads / sidelines also included in 78.1 (1 ) of the highway traffic Act On.

Response:  Unfortunately the cell phone charges can be issued for simply holding the cell phone, whether or not it is actively being used.  The Police are able to enforce this law on any roadway, whether it is paved or not.  If you would like to contest the charge, we offer a no-cost initial review of cases via our toll-free number 1-866-801-8299.

Greg Currie
Office Manager (London)