In 2007 a new section was added to the Highway Traffic Act of Ontario: Stunt Driving (Contest). A Stunt Driving charge is intended to stop, through enforcement, races, contest and stunts from being preformed on Ontario’s Highways.
Stunt Driving charges are laid without discretion and have the effect of tripling your insurance. Fortunately, in many cases a Stunt Driving ticket can be successfully defended in court, and that is where we at Ticket Defenders®* can help you: we know how to examine these cases, assess them, and then create the best possible defence. We are often in a position to save our clients points and thousands of dollars in fines and insurance.
The initial consultation with our ticket defence specialists is always free.
At Ticket Defenders®*, we are aware that every case is unique, and we are here to help you.
How is Stunt Driving defined? (What did I do?)
The following are examples of wording that you might see on your Stunt Driving (Contest) ticket:
- Speeding more than 50 km over the posted speed limit
- Chasing another vehicle (Road Rage)
- Driving without reasonable consideration of other drivers
- Attempting to outdistance another driver
- Repeatedly changing lanes
- Driving with intention to “lift tires”
- Deliberately loosing wheel traction
- Deliberately speeding a motor vehicle
- Driving with a person in the trunk
- Driving while not occupying the driver’s seat
- Slowing vehicle to interfere with traffic
- Driving too close to a pedestrian, or vehicle
What are the penalties if I am convicted of Stunt Driving (Contest)?
The following are some possible penalties from a Stunt Driving conviction:
- Up to 2 years licence suspension on first conviction
- A 7-day car impoundment
- Fines ranging from $2,000-$10,000
- Imprisonment, up to a maximum of 6 months
As you can see, the penalties resulting from a conviction on a Stunt Driving charge can be quite severe. To ensure that you have only the best possible representation in court, contact one of our Ontario ticket defence offices today. Or, if you prefer, send us your request for a free, no-obligation traffic ticket consultation of your Stunt Driving ticket online, now!