got convicted – left the country – what will happen to me?

Question: Inquiry Hi, I received a conviction for a no insurance ticket. The fine was $6250.

It’s been almost a year since the due date to make the full payment. I
am currently out of the country and was wondering what would happen when I
try and re enter Canada through Toronto airport. What is the penalty for
not paying the fine and what can be done about it in a legal sense. I was a
university student at the time of the conviction and just found a job a
month ago. I can pay the fine but not the entire amount at once. Please

Response: Failure to pay the fine will result in a license suspension and collection proceedings; if this is the only charge, then you do not have to be concerned about arrest on re-entry. Once you return, you can set up a meeting with a Justice of the Peace (call the court to do so) to try to get on a payment plan and get your license reinstated.

We can also assist with an Appeal, if there is a potential defense, or to try to reduce the penalty amount – please call our office at 1-866-801-8299.