Inquiry:   My boyfriend does not have his license. He has several (unpaid) charges of license supspension, driving with no insurance, wrong plates on vehicle, vehicle not registered etc. He can not pay these and would like to get his license. What can he do? Is there alternatives to payment? ie. community service? Also, are you able to defend a case like this where the tickets are old but he would like to have them reduced? Need help please! Thanks

Response:  The best (and sometimes only) time to defend charges is when they have been issued and are pending resolution at court.  Once a matter has gone to a conviction, there may be little (or no) recourse in addressing it.  He may want to go and speak with a court clerk to see whether he can get an extension of time to pay the fines.

Greg Currie
Office Manager (London)