Inquiry:   I was served a red light camera offence notice by mail, however it was a family member who was driving the car at the time of the offence. The family member would like to choose option 2 – early resolution. If granted a meeting with a prosecutor to discuss a resolution, can the family member attend or do I have to? Is there paperwork or an application that must be completed to ‘nominate her’ to dispute the ticket?

Response:  We can not direct you in completing court forms or taking specific legal actions on your own.  However, red light camera tickets charge the owner of the vehicle, not the driver.  As such, once the fine has been paid the offence does not go onto your driving record.  Without a record of conviction being registered in these cases, they generally become monetary matters.  As such, you may wish to discuss with the person that was driving your vehicle if they are willing to cover the cost of the fine.

Greg Currie
Office Manager (London)