Inquiry:  Hi there, My friend received a seat belt ticket 2 years ago and still hasn’t paid it. How can he pay this ticket and is he able to take a G2 road test with this ticket’s existence?

Response:  When a ticket goes beyond it’s payment due date, the MTO suspends the driver’s licence for the unpaid fine.  Having a licence suspension on the driving history may cost your friend significantly more money in increased insurance costs than having just paid the original ticket.  By attending a Provincial Offences Court, your friend can provide their driver’s licence number to a court clerk to track down the current amount owing to the Court.  Once the fine has been paid, approximately one week later they can apply for a reinstatement of their licence at the MTO (about a $150 cost).

Greg Currie
Office Manager (London)