Inquiry: I had been caught passed out in a residential area drunk and received an intoxicated in a public place fine. The city I live in is Hamilton, Ontario. I am on social assistance and it would hurt me more to to pay this fine at the time than it would to serve a jail term. I would like to know
how many days would I receive and should I turn myself in before the 2 weeks given for me to respond to the fine? Or wait until after that date

Response:  For the charge you have been issued, you are unable to elect to take jail time in lieu of paying the fine.  However, you could file the matter with the court for a ‘guilty plea with an explanation’ to present your case why you are unable to pay the full fine in hopes that the court will lower it.

Greg Currie
Office Manager (London)