Inquiry: my licence was suspended back in 1998 for driving with no insurance i have 2 conviction one in toronto one in mississauga my fines are around $13000 one of my convictions have gone into collections does this mean i cant do anything about this anymore i was young then and now have recently come back to canada and need to get a licence again but can no way pay all those fines now but can make a payment plan. Is there anything i can do i really need to drive again i have to small kids and need to get around. please can you help me thank you

Response:  The first step would be to speak with a court clerk about the outstanding fines to see if a payment plan can be arranged.  If the Court will approve an extension of time to pay the fines, then you should be able to get a licence approximately one week later.  Charges such as OPERATE MOTOR VEHICLE – NO INSURANCE carry massive fines.  Consulting a paralegal in such cases can often mean reducing the penalties significantly or even having the charge eliminated completely.  If required in the future, we may be contact via our toll-free number 1-866-801-8299.

Greg Currie
Office Manager (London)