Inquiry:  I recieved a fine for driving without insurance 15 years ago, at the same time I was charged with driving without a licence which I served 2 weeks in jail. For the past 15 years I’ve been unable to pay this fine so I’ve basically done nothing about it and gone without a drivers licence as a consequence. Well the insurance fine has now gone to a collection agency and I don’t know what to do?

Response:  It sounds like you have two issues here.  The first is to get back on the road with a valid licence, the second to deal with the outstanding fine.  Generally, the court simply wants you to pay your outstanding fine and will be willing to work with you to do so.  An application may be made to the court for an extension of time to pay the fine.  This will allow you to remove the outstanding debt from collections and start making payments within your ability to pay.  Once your fine is removed from collections, approximately one week later you will be able to apply to the MTO for a reinstatement of your licence (assuming there are no other reasons prohibiting you from doing so).  Our staff is experienced in making these applications to the court and they are generally inexpensive to do.  Should you wish to have our staff assist you in this matter, we may be reached via our toll-free number 1-866-801-8299.

Greg Currie
Office Manager (London)