Inquiry: My son has received speeding tickets in the past under 16 kph and did not receive any demerit points. He paid his tickets without any questions being asked but now finds that he is being denied employment for not having a clear abstract. Is there any kind of amnesty program or pardon program that would enable him to show 0 demerit points and a clean abstract now before the 3 years are up?

Response:  Many drivers are unaware that even charges carrying zero demerit points remain on a driving history for the three year period and will have an impact on insurance rates or employment.  To my knowledge, outside of having a valid grounds of appeal, there is no means of removing convictions from a driving history.  You could however contact the MTO to follow up with them about any possible avenues.  We generally recommend discussing the defense and penalties of any charge with a licenced paralegal before deciding whether to plead guilty or contest the charge.  We offer a no-cost initial consultation to review these issues and can be reached via our toll-free number 1-866-801-8299.

Greg Currie
Office Manager, London