Inquiry: If someone was involved in an accident where a dirt bike rider fell off dirt bike after my vehicle was turned right (& they were on the same side as my vehicle), I’m puzzled why I received an improper right turn ticket when this is what I as doing. What are provincial HTA laws concerning dirt bikes (ORV) when they interact with motor vehicles? Also, should they be registered, licensed, have insurance coverage, & what side of the highway do they travel on? Thank you

Response:  If you have been charged under the HTA, issues such as registration, licencing, insurance, etc. of the other vehicle involved has no impact on whether or not the Court will find you guilty of the charge that you have been issued.  When changing lanes or making a turn, the driver of a vehicle must ensure that they can do so in a safe manner without effecting other nearby vehicles (including trucks, cars, motorized bikes, and pedal-driven bicycles).  Whether or not the section of the HTA under which you have been charged specifically deals with that safety issue or only the mechanics of the vehicle’s movement would require more information from you.  I would recommend contacting one of our staff via our toll-free number 1-866-801-8299 for a no-cost initial consultation to review the details of your case.

Greg Currie
Office Manager, London