Inquiry: I was involved in an accident and got a ticket for “Fail to yeild from private driveway”. The officer wrote down the wrong month (03 instead of 04) on both the ticket and the report. Does this make my ticket invalid? He also got my car colour, model and number of doors on my car wrong and wrong address on report.  In addition, the officer who took my statement left thes cene shortly after and another officer who showed up wrote the report and ticket. If both officers don’t appear in court does my case get thrown out?

Response:  It is possible that the Officer will notice the error and not file the original ticket.  If so, he or she may reserve you with a new ticket within 6 months of the original offence date.  The car description would not likely be a fatal error to the Prosecutor’s case, but it is information that we would want to know in preparing a defence.  The Prosecutor’s Office will decide which of the Officers will be called for a trial date based on the merits of the information that they can provide to the Court.  Whether or not the Officer files the original offence notice, it is important that you do not neglect responding to the charge as a failure to respond to the charge will result in your conviction.  If you would like to discuss your matter further, please feel free to contact one of our staff via our toll-free number 1-866-801-8299.

Greg Currie
Office Manager, London