Inquiry: My husband now has un unknown amount of unpaid fines dating back from 2006 till now. We estimate the total to be over $25,000. (yes you read correctly!) Where do we go to find out the exact amount is owed and how we can start paying them off? We went to our city hall and they said they no longer give out people’s fine information. So what do we do now and is there any way we can get the amount reduced? Thank you!

Response:  Some charges, especially driving without insurance, can have very large fines.  It is important to seek out legal advice whenever a charge has been issued to understand the penalties involved, what defense is available, and whether the charge or penalties can be reduced.  Most paralegal companies, such as ours, offer a free initial consultation with clients to review these issues.  To find out the current amount owing, you should be able to contact your local Provincial Offenses Court.  By providing your husband’s driver’s licence number, the clerk should be able to track down the outstanding fines.  Given that there are outstanding fines from 2006, it is likely that your husband’s licence has been suspended.  An application can be made by either yourself our by our company on your husband’s  behalf for an extension of time to pay the outstanding fines.  If the Court grants that application, assuming there are no other reasons for your husband’s licence to be suspended, he should be able to have his licence reinstated approximately one week later.  If you would like to discuss this further with one of our staff, we may be contacted via our toll-free number 1-866-801-8299.

Greg Currie
Office Manager, London