Inquiry: Hello, I recently missed a court date for a DR M/V USING HAND HELD DEVICE charge. It occured May 24/10.  I wasn’t able to attend the court date, I was busy getting laid off from work that day.  Is this a case that can be reopened? And will I be able to reduce the fine of $165.

Response:  A Justice Of The Peace may grant a reopening based on those grounds.   However, like all legal proceedings, it is impossible to predict a court ruling with complete certainty.  Your options would be to either file a reopening on your own behalf, or hire a company such as ours to prepare and file the reopening to maximize the chances of it being granted.  There is a 15 day period from the date that you became aware of the conviction within which to file the reopening.  If you would like to discuss having our company preparing and filing your reopening application, you can speak with one of our staff via our toll-free number 1-866-801-8299.

Greg Currie
Office Manager, London